If someone blind folded me and brought me to The Great Kabab Factory, I would not in my entire life believed this would be inside a 5 star hotel. This is in level 2, once you cross the tiny swimming pool. Before I even start the review, this place has been on my list for quite sometime. I saw the Groupon deal for Rs 1,100 but then chanced upon this additional 30% offer. So effectively bought the deal for Rs 770/-. This is a very steep discount. While the spread looked really limited, I was hoping that the kababs do the magic, but sadly did not cut it.
First the positives.
1) Among the 4 veg starters, only paneer tikka merited repeat servings. I was quite surprised to see humongous chunks of paneer that literally melted in the mouth. Since I dont like spicy food, I felt the spice level in the food was perfect for me.
2) In non-veg starters wife liked both the chicken starters. The mint chutney was a perfect foil for the starters. We also liked the tamarind chutney. I love peanut chutney so I rarely complain about it.
3) The welcome drink was milk with saffron. I usually don’t like the smell of milk so double checked with wife before tasting it. I absolutely loved it.
4) I took only one spoon of biriyani but liked the beet based gravy with paneer that came along with the biriyani.
5) The bun and dal went very well together. Both dal tadka and dal factory tasted good but could not enjoy more of it as the roti was burnt. So I requested for a bun again, and polished off the dals
6) The pineapple starter was the next best after paneer tikka. Wife absolutely loved it, that she requested for one at the end of the meal.
7) In desserts absolutely loved the halwa, and kala jamun. I skipped the peda and motichoor ladoo. Pan kulfi tasted yum, while malai kulfi was passable.
Now the negatives. There were quite a lot and they outweigh the positives.
1) Besides paneer tikka, all the starters were pedestrian. The worst was Kandhani Aloo which was half baked potato. The kabab in Galouti kabab did not even held its shape. It looked how I would have made a cutlet at home, with the crumb not fried properly and falls apart in one bite.
2) Sabz ki shami was alright, nothing to rave about. I was quite surprised that a place that boasts itself as The Great Kabab Factory could not get the kababs right, its USP.
3) Service was mixed. Initially it was quite alright. Though there was always a sense of hurriedness, even before we could understood clearly what the server said, he would scurry away.
4) They did not serve the gravy along with the biriyani. I saw them serving for someone else and asked about it. They served only after I pointed it out to them
5) The lamb kabab was undercooked, when we pointed out he said that a replacement will be given. It never came. Same with mint chutney, pineapple tikka, requests for subsequent servings fell in deaf ears
6) When asked to refill water glass, he filled only the bottom 1/4th of the glass. I normally would not have taken it too seriously, but happened more than once.
7) Since I avoid maida, I chose roti. It was so hard and black, completely burnt, I just helped it to make its way to side plate.
8) Asked for one pan kulfi and one malai kulfi, got both pan kulfis. When I asked which is which, he cooly pointed out 1st one in pan and the other is malai. So called the supervisor and checked again. Looked like they had given both pan. So after some time got malai. After tasting it, we felt we shouldn’t have taken the trouble to ask for it. Pan was pretty good, malai was very okayish.
9) The chicken biriyani was so bland and it did not help that they did not bother to serve any gravy along with it.
10) The upholstery and the furniture gave it a mid-scale restaurant feel, definitely not a fine dining feel. Though otherwise the ambiance was done up nicely, the upholstery did not match up to a 5 star hotel.
Overall, I am very glad that I bought the groupon voucher in discount, otherwise this place is definitely not worth the money. It is not even about the size of the spread I do not mind paying more if it can be justified by the overall experience, taste of food, and service. But the food was not up to the mark and the service was very ordinary. Definitely not worth the hype and not planning to go back here at all.